Precipitous falls on global markets have been followed by thrilling bounces, while economic data is weak and getting weaker. Australia has so far avoided the worst of the health crisis, but its economic fortunes appear much less optimistic, with predictions of recession and even depression. So are share markets looking complacent?
InvestSmart’s Chief Market Strategist Evan Lucas shares his insights on:
- How often bear market rallies are followed by further falls
- Recent volatility and its historical context
- Likely outcomes for unemployment, exports and consumption
- Long term behavioural changes post the Covid19 shutdown, and
- U, J, V shaped recoveries, and what this means for the sharemarket.
If you’re short on time, consider listening at 1.5-2x speed, which should be shown on the screen of your device as you listen. This won’t just reduce your listening time; it has also been shown to improve knowledge retention.